IMAGINATIVE AND INTERACTIVE LEARNING
REGISTRATION FOR SPRING 2020 SESSIONS IS OPEN!
Developed by the Regional Arts Commission and designed for students in grades 6-8, the St. Louis Canvass Project is a free* youth engagement program that uses the arts to unlock skills students need to succeed in life – problem solving, collaboration, communication, imagination and creativity – with a special emphasis on leadership development.
* The St. Louis Canvass Project is free to students that live in one of the following school districts: St. Louis Public Schools, School District of University City, Normandy Schools Collaborative, Ritenour School District, Jennings School District, Riverview Gardens School District, Ferguson-Florissant School District, Hazelwood School District. Students living outside of those school districts wishing to participate may do so with a fee.
The St. Louis Canvass Project is offered at four sites located throughout the St. Louis region, one Saturday per month in Fall 2019 and Spring 2020. Students meet at their selected site and start the day with a fun, artistic activity. They then board a bus to experience museum exhibitions, theatrical events, behind-the-scenes tours of music or art studios, or other cultural destinations. They are then returned to the host site where they will reflect on their experience.
- Develop their own expressive and creative voice
- Build confidence in engaging in new and creative experiences
- Become more empathetic and respect the differences of others
- Gain leadership skills to carry them through the rest of their lives
The St. Louis Canvass Project credits Lincoln Center Education program for inspiring a curriculum that is grounded in the concept of “imaginative learning”. This learning framework invites young people to interact with works of art by noticing deeply what they see, touch or hear, and to pose questions, make connections, empathize, recognize ambiguity and practice other ways of thinking that evolve from their interaction with art.
The St. Louis Canvass Project will be located at four sites around the region, Beyond Housing, Central Print, Intersect Arts Center, and The Regional Arts Commission.
Please note: Beyond Housing and The Regional Arts Commission sites are full.
Excursions sites last year included places such as Laumeier Sculpture Park, St. Louis Art Museum, and St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. New and exciting excursion sites are being added for 2019-2020!
The St. Louis Canvass Project will take place one Saturday a month for eight months from February 2020 through April 2020. Each session will be from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- March 28
- April 25
The St. Louis Canvass Project is a project of the Regional Arts Commission made possible by a major grant from Wells Fargo Advisors. Springboard to Learning and NCCJ St. Louis oversee the curriculum development taking inspiration from the Lincoln Center Education approach.