- This event has passed.
Wisdom Tales We Live By: Pondering the Gifts of the Mythic Quest with Jonathan Young
The program will focus on personal applications of initiatory tales. We will revisit Dorothy and The Wizard of Oz to ponder the gifts of the mythic quest. The format is storytelling with discussion of key elements, such as hearing a calling and serving worthy goals. In a spirit of play, we will follow each stage of the adventure to find hidden riches.
Registration price: $50; Friends, $42.50; Full-time students with ID, $5.
1. Discern the shaping influence of stories
2. Apply narratives to life-stage transition challenges
3. Identify plot patterns as unconscious scripts
4. Recognize how crises of faith, courage, and identity can be calls for renewal
5. Employ methods of engaging the imagination to claim emotional resources
Jonathan Young, Ph.D., is a psychologist and storyteller who assisted mythologist Joseph Campbell for several years at seminars and went on to serve as the founding curator of the Joseph Campbell Archive and Library. Dr. Young is a consulting producer of documentary films on the History Channel, in which he appears as a featured expert on mythology. He lives in Santa Barbara, California, where he teaches at the Pacifica Graduate Institute and maintains an online counseling practice.