ST. LOUIS – (April 9, 2014) – The Regional Arts Commission (RAC) has awarded $57,380 to 28 artists as part of its Artists Support Grants. These awards complete round one of two Artists Support Grants rounds for 2014. This grant initiative was created in 2013 based on results of the RAC sponsored Artists Count Survey, one of the largest artists surveys ever completed in the United States. The survey was funded by The Kresge Foundation. It indicated that the most pressing need of regional artists was financial support in order to pursue their art and careers.
The RAC Artists Support Grants are designed to provide direct funds for artists’ projects, needs, and creative opportunities in all disciplines. Direct support enables diverse artists of all disciplines to advance their careers. The grants are designed to be flexible and accessible and to encourage creativity, innovation, entrepreneurship and sustained commitment to artistic work.
The commitment to support artists is inherent in RAC’s vision to transform St. Louis into a more creative and economically thriving community through elevating the vitality, value and visibility of the arts.
Now in its second year, RAC continues to see a steady increase in the number of applicants for the Artists Support Grants. Last year, a total of $80,466 was awarded to 42 artists through this category.
The recipients, representing the disciplines of literature, theater, visual arts, dance, music and multi-media, were selected from among 204 applicants in the first grants round for 2014. The grants range from $700 to $3,000 for a variety of projects.
Artists Receiving Grants Are:
• Adam Andrews – Music/American Roots
• Andrea Peoples – Dance/African
• Andrew Andrasko – Visual Art/Sculpture
• Brea McAnally – Visual Art/Photography
• Catharine Magel – Visual Art/Ceramic/Sculpture
• Chris Limber – Theater
• Christian Frommelt – Dance/Swing & Jazz
• Edo Rosenblith – Visual Art/Painting/Print
• Em Piro – Theater/Performance Art
• Emily Hemeyer – Visual Art/Installation
• Gary Passanise – Visual Art/Painting
• Jennifer Colten – Visual Art/Photography
• Jennifer Tappenden – Literature/Poetry
• Joan Lipkin – Theater
• Johanna Nordhorn – Music/Opera
• John William Richter – Media Arts/Radio
• Kelvin Evans – Music/Jazz
• Maggie Wheelock – Visual Art/Painting/Drawing
• Martin Goebel – Craft/Design/ Wood
• Mary Sprague – Visual Art/Book
• Michael Drummond – Craft/Design/Fashion
• Pamela Reckamp – Theater
• Peter Foggy – Media Arts/Documentary
• Phillip Dunlap – Music/Jazz
• Tate Foley – Visual Art/Print-making
• Travis Mossotti – Literature/Poetry
• Vynetta Anne Morrow – Literature/Story-telling
• William Morris – Media Arts/Video
The next round of Artists Support Grants opens for applications in August 2014 with a mid-September deadline. Find the application and deadline information at www.art-stl.com/artistscount. If you have any questions about Artists Support Grants, please contact Roseann Weiss, Director of Community and Public Arts, at email@example.com or 314-863-5811.
About the Regional Arts Commission |www.art-stl.com
The Regional Arts Commission (RAC) is at the forefront of efforts to transform St. Louis into a more vibrant, creative and economically thriving community by elevating the vitality, value and visibility of the arts. As the largest annual funder of the arts in the region, since its inception in 1985, RAC has awarded more than 6,000 grants totaling over $80 million to support nonprofit arts, individual artists, cultural organizations, consortiums and programs. Directed by a board of 15 commissioners appointed by the chief executives of St. Louis City and County, RAC is a pivotal force in the continuing development and marketing of the arts in the region. Find us online at www.art-stl.com. Visit our cultural calendar at www.ArtsZipper.com or follow us on Facebook at Regional Arts Commission and on Twitter at RACStLouis.