** This piece is no longer on display. Please see our Retired Public Art Installations page for more information.
The statue, about two-thirds lifesize, was thought to be a model for a larger work honoring the Prussian military genius who reorganized the Revolutionary War forces at Valley Forge. The work was a gift from the German government to the 1904 World’s Fair, where it was reportedly sold to August A. Busch for $100. It was then sold to a number of private owners until it became the property of the Steuben Society, which displayed it in front of its headquarters on South Grand Avenue. In 1968, at the conclusion of the twenty-third biennial conference of the society, the statue was refurbished and unveiled in its current location in Tower Grove Park.
Dimensions: 3’6 H, 2′ W, 2′ D
Year Completed: c. 1880s
Owner: Tower Grove Park
Donor: Gift from German Government to 1904 Worlds’s Fair