Dimensions: 4′ x 15′ x 15′ Year Completed: 1994 Material: Limestone, water Owner: Harris Stowe State University
About the artist:
Sounders and Associates
Ethan A. H. Shepley was the chancellor of Washington University until 1961. This memorial fountain and plaza was built in his honor at Harris Stowe State University. Shepley became Chancellor in 1953, the first alumnus to hold the position. He oversaw the transition of Washington University from a “streetcar college” for local students to a national university with a majority of its students from outside the region. A major fundraising drive led to a new round of construction, including the John M. Olin Library, Urbauer Hall for engineering, Busch Laboratory for biology, and Steinberg Hall for the Gallery of Arts, as well as several new dormitories on the South 40.