After nearly two centuries, the 1804 Corps of Discovery Commanders are back in the City of Saint Charles. In 1993 a group of area citizens decided that Missouri needed a larger-than-life monument to serve as a tribute to the Lewis and Clark expedition, and work began to select an artist. Once commissioned, it took the artist Pat Kennedy about 16 months to complete the 15 foot bronze monument of the famed explorers Captain Meriwether Lewis (right), Captain William Clark (left) and Lewis’ Newfoundland Dog “Seaman” (center). This monument is dedicated to the memory of Lewis & Clark and the brave men of the Corps of Discovery, as a reminder of their courage. May it serve as an inspiration to all.
Year Completed: 2003