Birth of the Muses was originally designed to be placed on the brick chimney over the fireplace in a house owned by Mrs. John D. Rockefeller in New York. Lipchitz decided to develop the piece from his Pegasus designs and call it Birth of the Muses in Honor of the Rockefellers’ interest in the arts. In 1950 he completed the work as a bronze relief standing five feet high. It was installed as planned and later was acquired by Lincoln Center. While the sculpture that rests in the Missouri Botanical Gardens is not identical to the piece he made for the Rockefellers, they are very similar and share the same title.
Dimensions: 60.5″ x 89″
Year Completed: 1994
Owner: Missouri Botanical Garden