In 2010, Weber was commissioned to create a sculpture that would be the first statue of Dred and Harriet Scott in the world. After raising money for over two years, the statue was installed in front of the Old Courthouse in St. Louis and dedicated on June 8, 2012. The location of the Old Courthouse serves as a reminder of the place where Dred and Harriet Scott began their legal fight for freedom.
On April 6th, 1846, Dred Scott and his wife Harriet, both American-born slaves of African descent, filed suit against Irene Emerson for their freedom. After several appeals and new lawsuits, the Dred Scott case reached the Supreme Court. The final verdict stated that Scott was still a slave, still the property of his masters, and that he was neither a free man nor a US citizen. The decision outraged many and was integral in leading the United States to the brink of civil war.
Dimensions: 10′ x 4′ x 4′
Year completed: 2012
Owner: City of St. Louis