This monument is in the shape of a bench with a colossal head of Jahn in the center and an athletic figure on either end. Jahn, the father of systematic physical culture, was the founder of the Turnverein, a German gymnastic and social organization. The memorial, which was donated to the city by the North American Turn Bund-St. Louis Chapter, sits on the site occupied by the German pavilion during the 1904 World’s Fair.
Dimensions: 8′ x 20′ x 10′
Year Completed: 1913
Material: Bronze and limestone
Owner: City of St. Louis
Donor: North American Tuner Bund
*Photo Courtesy of Forest Park Forever.