The statue Friedrich Schiller was a gift to the city from George Stifel in honor of the German poet. The sculpture is an exact reproduction of one that Rau did in Schiller’s birthplace, Marbach, Germany. Rau sculpted this bronze statue with Schiller’s left leg forward and right arm at his chest, regal and dignified. It was originally installed in November of 1898 at St. Louis Place Park. It was moved to its current location in the 1970’s.
Dimensions: 10′ 6″
Year Completed: 1898
Material: Bronze with granite pedestal
Owner: City of St. Louis
Donor: Colonel Charles G. Stifel