St. Louis’ first equestrian war monument recognized General Sigel as one of the leaders of the German revolution of 1848-49. Sigel came to St. Louis to be an instructor at the German Institute. At the beginning of the Civil War, he organized a regiment of Union volunteers and ultimately became a major-general. The statue was funded by the Sigel Monument Association from contributions of German-Americans who wanted to commemorate the heroism of German-American patriots who served in the Civil War.
Dimensions: 11′ x 12′ x 4′
Year Completed: 1906
Material: Bronze on limestone pedestal
Owner: City of St. Louis
Donor: Sigel Monument Association
*Photo Courtesy of Forest Park Forever.