The original Forest Park bandstand, or music pagoda, was a wooden structure that stood on an island in Pagoda Lake. It was built about the time the park was dedicated in 1876. Mary J. Rankin donated statues representing the four seasons in 1886. The bandstand was renovated and was landscaped for the 1904 World’s Fair. It was the site of concerts before and after the fair. However, the bandstand fell into disrepair and was declared unsafe in 1911. Before it could be renovated, it blew down in a storm and was damaged beyond repair.
In July 1924, St. Louis lawyer Nathan Frank donated funds to build a new bandstand. It was designed by Heffensteller, Hirsh and Watson. The new bandstand cost about $50,000 and is of classic Renaissance design. It is made of white marble with bronze railings and ornaments. It was renovated in 1981 with $13,000 from the Central West End Charitable Trust, raised by the Central West End Association. The landscape, designed by the firm of Oehme van Sweden, was planted by volunteers from the Flora Conservancy.
Courtesy of Forest Park Forever.
Year Completed: 1925
Material: White marble, bronze
Owner: City of St. Louis
*Photo Courtesy of Forest Park Forever.