In 1893, French was a founding member of the National Sculpture Society, and he became a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. French also became a member of the National Academy of Design (1901), the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the Architectural League, and the Accademia di San Luca, of Rome.
The symbolic sculpture is the companion piece to Louis Saint-Gaudens’ Painting. The pieces were originally produced in plaster for the 1904 World’s Fair. The artists were commissioned by the Louisiana Exposition Company to reproduce the models in marble as permanent gifts to the City. They occupy the same location as they did during the fair, with Sculpture on the west and Painting on the east.
Dimensions: 9′ x 8′ x 8′
Year Completed: 1904
Owner: City of St. Louis/St. Louis Art Museum
Donor: Louisiana Exposition Company