The Pilgrim

Saint Ignatius Loyola was a member of the founding group of the Jesuit order. He was born into a noble Basque family, and became an officer in the Spanish army. After he was wounded in battle, however, he began his formal studies and received a Masters of the Arts from the University of Paris. He gathered a group of companions and organized them into the religious order that was recognized by Pope John Paul III as the Society of Jesus in 1540. The sculpture was commissioned by Father Biondi in 1999, and was donated by a benefactor in the name of SLU volunteer Mary Bruemmer. The staff he carries is symbolic of St. Ignatius as “the pilgrim,” a name that he gave himself, representing his ongoing journey in life to “find God in all things.” (Courtesy of SLUMA)

Dimensions: 7′ x 3′ x 3′
Year Completed: 2000
Material: Bronze
Owner: Saint Louis University


About the artist:

Share This: